Our computer systems are machines (no matter how attached we may be to them). And, just like any other machine, they need to be upgraded from time to time. This routine will ensure that you have the latest parts and are not trying to make a 19th century part work in 2021. Of course, it may still work but it will be slow and the performance will not be great.
If you are noticing an overall drop in the performance of your system, it is likely because you have an outdated microprocessor. This delayed performance can hamper productivity and sour your gaming experience. So, why continue with it? We suggest that you upgrade to one of the latest options along with a good socket. Our vote goes to the AM2+ socket.
What is an AM2+ CPU?
The AM2+ is a socket that is used by multiple AMD processors. It works to provide a secure connection between a microprocessor and the circuit board. Today, you will also see AM3 sockets, which are an upgrade of AM2+ but AM2+ is good enough too. It is a successor of the AM2 sockets and you will see a few distinct characteristics.
The Benefits of an AM2+ CPU
Here’s why you should buy this particular processor:
- They are known to be highly efficient. They improve speed, lowers latency, and optimizes power consumption.
- They work on advanced technology to stay cool even while using intensive applications.
- They are durable and reliable, well-known to last for a long time.
AM2+ CPU – Buying Guide
There are certain things you should keep in mind while buying an AM2+ CPU because it can get technical and difficult. It is very easy to feel lost during the buying process, which is why we are here to help. Below are the features you must look for in your AM2+ CPU:
- Compatibility: You must remember that AM2+ CPUs are specific in function. This means that you can’t just use any CPU for any system. You must ensure that your processor is compatible with the AM2+ socket and then go ahead.
- Clock speed: For gamers, we suggest 3.5 GHz. You can also go for 4.0 GHz if you are a pro. Otherwise, anything lower will do too. High clock speed makes performance fast and seamless. That’s very important for gamers.
- Warranty: Who doesn’t like a long-lasting, durable product? Without a warranty, you will be shooting in the dark, almost risking it. With a warranty, you can be sure that if any problem arises, you can have it repaired or exchanged.
- Pricing: Needless to say, price is a very crucial factor. Make sure you set a reasonable budget for yourself before making any decisions.
Best AM2+ CPU
Now, let’s go ahead and look at some of the best options of AM2+ available on the market today.
1. AMD Phenom X4 9500
- It has a 2 MB cache.
- The socket works on the 65nm process technology.
- This is an AMD64 socket with a direct connect architecture.
- Its 4 cores ensure that you work on processor-intensive tasks with ease and without any lag whatsoever.
- You can use this CPU for various applications from gaming to running intense applications and creating graphics.
2. AMD Phenom II X4 940 – Black Edition
- It works on 3.0 GHz frequency.
- It has a larger cache size than standard AM2+ CPUs at 6 MB.
- This is a quad-core CPU.
- It works on both, 32- and 64-bit operating modes, without any problems.
- Its CoolCore Technology ensures that you save energy by optimizing usage.
- It has DDR2 memory.
- You get a limited 3-year warranty with this processor.
3. AMD Phenom X4 9650
- It is a quad-core processor with 16-bit HyperTransport link.
- It also comes with an 11.5 clock multiplier.
- This processor is best suited for productivity, modeling, graphic design, gaming, multitasking, and digital media.
- It comes with a warranty of 3 months.
- It works on 95 watts.
4. AMD Phenom II X4 920
- The processor comes with a native quad-core die design.
- You can use it with the HyperTransport 3 Technology.
- Its 6 MB cache is shared by the 4 cores along with 512 KB for each core.
- It has an integrated DDR2 SDRAM memory.
- It supports the AMD64 technology and the CoolnQuiet Technology to enable excellent performance.
- You will be able to use this CPU for 64-bit computing.
5. AMD Athlon II X4 640
- This quad-core processor has an AM2+ and AM3+ socket.
- It has 4 threads and an L2 cache of 2 MB.
- It works on a power of 95 watts.
- Its clock multiplier rate is 15.
- It has 938 pins.
- The CPU comes with a warranty of 3 months.
- The package includes a thermal compound to help you with installation. However, you have to buy the fan and heat grease separately.
People Also Ask (FAQs)
Here are a few FAQs that will help you understand AM2+ CPUs better.
What is the Fastest AM2+ Processor?
The Phenom II X4 series is currently the fastest.
Can I Put an AM3 CPU in an AM2+ Processor?
Yes, you can, because AM3 CPUs are backwards compatible.
Is AM2 and AM2+ the Same?
Physically, you won’t see a difference but AM2+ sockets are an upgrade. They have HyperTransport 3.0 support and split power planes.
Will AM4 Fit in AM3+?
No, it cannot. Only AM3 can fit AM3+.
Are CPU Sockets Backwards Compatible?
Most of them are backwards compatible.
How Do I Find Out My Processor Socket Type?
That’s quite easy! You will find it on the motherboard.
Now that you have a clear idea about AM2+ CPUs, we are sure you will be able to purchase the best according to your needs. If you have any other doubts, though, you can always reach out to us.