Finally 64-bit Google Chrome browser is here and available for download. This is Chrome 37 with stable channel, which means you can trust it robustness and upgrade your 32-bit Chrome.
Google did not made this new 64-bit version default yet and will not automatically upgrade previous 32-bit version to new 64-bit. So you have to manually download and install it. Go to this page and download 64bit Chrome.
Note on upgrade: You don’t have to uninstall previous 32-bit version. Just download and install this new 64-bit version and it will replace your 32-bit version perfectly. You will not loose any of your bookmarks, history, addons or settings.
Some of the benefits of new 64-bit Chrome browser are:
- More speed, stability and security.
- More speed for web graphics and media.
- 15% improvement in YouTube video decoding performance. (faster YouTube HD videos)
- As per testing 64-bit rendering engines are almost twice as stable as 32-bit engines when handling typical web content.
- Better and improved “Profile switching” and incognito mode.
Some downsides to 64-bit version are:
- I do see that 64-bit version is taking a bit more RAM compared to 32-bit. (my experience)
- Google Earth and Google Voice don’t work because they’re 32-bit plugins
- Lack of 32-bit NPAPI plugin support. (though NPAPI will be removed from Chrome soon)
Other than few downside 64-bit version is awesome and you should upgrade it as soon as possible. In case you don’t like 64-bit version and have issues, you can always roll back to 32-bit version by downloading and installing it from here.
Please comment and let us know yours experience with new 64-bit Chrome browser.