Just like in Windows you can switch between Apps/Windows using ALT+TAB, you also switch between Tab in Firefox using Ctrl+Tab. The default setting of Firefox can be tweaked to have better usability. This is a about:config hack and thus make sure you follow this hack properly else you will end up crashing your browser.
You can watch below video screencast or follow instructions after this video.
Part 1: Enabling the Ctrl+Tab preview feature.
- Open a new tab and input about:config and hit enter.
- Click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” button.
- Go to search box and enter browser.ctrlTab.previews
- Change it to true by double clicking on it (or right click and select toggle).
Now when you press Ctrl+Tab you will see a new / better tab switching with previews.
Part 2: Disable Animations for New Tabs, Tab Groups:
This new Tab preview feature (plus Tab Groups) can be resource intense if your system does not have enough RAM and computing power to spare. To make it work a little faster and lighter we have to do another about:config hack.
Just like in Part 1 of this tutorial go to about:config page and search below keywords and set new them to values.
- browser.tabs.animate set to false
- browser.panorama.animate_zoom set to false
- browser.fullscreen.animateUp set to 0
After this hack, your Firefox will enable the Tab preview feature and disable all the unnecessary animation feature for tabs preview and groups.
If you have any problem or question regarding this hack or want to share any similar hack then please comment below.
Please share this blog post with your Facebook friends and Twitter followers to help them hack their Firefox.